Access available search methods from the drop down menu of the search form. Multiple search methods can be combined to refine your search.
|Any Word||Searches words in record titles and notes.||Use an asterisk (*) for wildcard. Ex: librar*
Use quotation marks to indicate an exact phrase. Ex: "burnside bridge"
|Document Content (Full-Text)||Searches words found in electronic documents such as PDFs, word processing documents, spreadsheets.||Terms are joined automatically with an AND.
Use an asterisk (*) for wildcard. .
See below for more Advanced Document Content Searching methods.
|Record Date||Searches for records based upon the record date.|
|Record Number||Searches for the record number.||
Use record number prefix + the wildcard (*) to limit results to a particular record type.
AP/* = Archival Photos
AF/* = Archival Folders
AD/* = Archival Documents
B/* = Boxes & Archival Boxes
|Electronic File Extension||Searches for types of electronic documents based upon their extension||Most common: jpg, pdf, tif, doc, xls, mp3, mp4. See also the checkbox Include Electronic Only.|
|PARC Accession||Searches for a specified PARC Accession number.||Internal use|
|PARC Confirmation Number||Searches for a PARC provided confirmation number.||Internal use|
Additonal advanced search operators must be capitalized.
- AND [default] - for documents which contain both of the entered words or phrases anywhere in the text of the document
- OR - for documents that contain any one of the entered words or phrases
- NOT - for documents that contain the first word or phrase, but not the second. It is not necessary for it to be typed in as AND NOT.
- XOR - the EXCLUSIVE OR operator is used to locate documents that contain the first word or phrase, and the second word or phrase, but not those that contain both
- EXCEPT - for documents in which the first word or phrase appears, but only if the second term or phrase is not in the same paragraph as the first. This is a more specific version of NOT.
- PARAGRAPH - to find a word in the same paragraph as another word. For example, bus PARAGRAPH shelter finds all instances of bus in the same paragraph as shelter.
- IN - for documents that contain one word or phrase in a paragraph that begins with another word or phrase.
- LABEL - for documents that contain a paragraph beginning with the typed in word or phrase.
- ... (FAR FOLLOW) - the retrieved documents must contain both terms, and the second term must follow the appearance of the first. The second term can be anywhere in the document as long as it occurs after the first.
- .. (CLOSE FOLLOW) - the retrieved documents must contain both search terms occurring in pairs. That is, the second term must immediately follow the first if a document is to be retrieved, without a repeated occurrence of the first term.